Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Know the risks of the "silent killer"

Stock-101

When temperatures drop, we urge you to be careful when using fuel-burning heating equipment to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Here are some important facts about carbon monoxide:

  • It’s produced by the exhaust from everything from furnaces to space heaters
  • You cannot see or smell it - hence, the nickname "silent killer"
  • Symptoms include severe headaches or nausea, fatigue, dizziness or feeling faint

What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Open windows
  • Shut off your furnace and other fuel-burning appliances
  • Get out of your home immediately
  • Call the fire department at 911 and CPS Energy at (210) 353-4357 (HELP)
 

How to avoid carbon monoxide dangers:

  • Install a carbon monoxide detector near the area where your family sleeps
  • Check the detector’s batteries every time you change the time on your clock each spring and fall
  • When using a gas space heater, leave a window open a couple of inches for proper ventilation
  • Never heat a room with your gas range, oven or clothes dryer
  • Never use a charcoal or barbecue grill, or portable gas camp stove indoors
  • Always use fuel-burning appliances with proper ventilation
  • Always provide such appliances with adequate combustion air according to manufacturer recommendations
  • Make sure appliance fresh air intakes are not blocked or restricted
  • Keep vents and chimneys clear of debris or other blockages